Civil Protection Orders are sometimes called “Stay Away” Orders, and they can result from accusations which may include spousal abuse or child abuse, whether it is physical, mental or verbal. These types of issues are generally handled in common pleas court domestic relations division, however, in certain circumstances the can be handled in common pleas court, general division. Whether or not the accused abuser and alleged victim are related or have lived together is the factual issue which determines where to file for the Civil Protection Orders. Civil Protection Orders can limit the accused abuser’s contact with the alleged victim or any minor children at issue for extended periods of time, as well as restricting the accused abuser’s ability to enter the family residence.

If the Civil Protection Orders are violated, the violating party can face jail, fines, as well as additional penalties. If you have been charged with, or victimized by, a crime involving domestic violence or threats to family or a household member, it is absolutely critical to obtain advise from an experienced domestic violence attorney as soon as possible. It is also extremely helpful to have an attorney who is also experienced in the collateral family law matters which should always be considered in conjunction with any Domestic Violence issue where children or a marriage are involved.